Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You are a very beautiful CHANGE!

For the first time in a long time I am proud of myself. I have faced some interesting setbacks lately and somehow, even with a broken heart, I have discovered that I have what some might call a 'resilient spirit'. That's right everyone, break out the rubber tree plants, because I have HIGH HOPES. I've got hiiiighhh hopes. I've got high apple pie in the skkkkkyyy....ok, well, I've got relatively elevated hopes, perhaps 'high' is a bit of an overstatement. I like that song though. In fact, I have such elevated hopes that right now all I'm worrying about is which version of that song I like better; Frank Sinatra's swinging take or Doris Day's peroxide with a side of daisies take? Too hard to tell. And you know what? I'm glad that I can let myself fret about such things instead of things that I am typically prone to be fretful about.

So, I went to the Sundance Film Festival yesterday. I met a lot of famous people and even bumped into a few (Literally! I'm sorry Robin Williams). My toes are still thawing, but if you're going to get hypothermia and/or frost bite then that's the way to do it.

On the way up my sister tried to cheer me up with a lot of Phil Collin's songs. I laughed at her when she initially suggested it, but I left the car with my mood dramatically altered.
I can't hide it anymore, so I won't. I am in love with Phil Collins. And yes, it does feel better and 'freeing' to finally get that off my chest. Phil must know, and perhaps, just perhaps, he will appreciate it. I don't know, maybe he'll reciprocate by writing me a song of my very own? That's the best part of taking risks-- some might pay off. I know this one will, I just know it. All he needs is to get back in the studio again. Let's make that happen people.

A girl can continue to hope, can't she?

Currently in on my iPod? "It happened on the way to Heaven" by good ol' Phil.

How can something so good go so bad?

How can something so right go so wrong?

Well I don't know, I don't have all the answers.
But I want you back.
How many times can I say I'm sorry?
You can run and you can hide.

But I'm not leaving, 'less you come with me.
We had our problems but I'm on your side.
You're all I need, please believe in me.



And one of my favorite songs ever, "You know what I mean." IN-TENSE!

...You call up to tell me, you're not sure if you're ready,
Ah, but ready or not
you'll take what you've got and
leave,
oh, leave me alone in my heart,

putting the pieces back together again.

Just leave, oh, leave me alone with my dreams,
I can do without you,
Know what I mean?


And you leave
oh leave me alone in my heart,

it's broken in two and I'm not,
I'm not thinking too straight.

Just leave oh leave me alone with my dreams,

you've taken everything else, you know what I mean?






















Ok, isn't he HAWWWT? Admit it. Hawwwwt.

7 comments:

  1. Courtney, it's good to sample your writing again- it's been a while. Of course, it would be more fun to hear you reading it yourself...
    I have to admit I, too, share a guilty pleasure of Phil Collins from time-to-time. I know I still have a Genesis cassette tape somewhere...it's saying something that it has made it with me and all my uprooting since the 5th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what famous people did you meet? And did you really bump into Robin Williams? Yes, Phil Collins is great. When Anna was a baby we used to listen to the Tarzan soundtrack all the time - she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite Phil Collins album: Tarzan.

    Ha! I'm so funny.

    I'm glad you're feeling proud of yourself. If that had failed to happen, I would have been very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved Phil Collins for years!! I didn't know you liked him. That's SOOOO cool! The Brother Bear and Tarzan soundtracks have been on my top favorite list for so long. I also love his good old Genesis days. Phil is awesome. "Another Day in Paradise" is one of my favorite songs ever. I realized how selfish I was after listening to it and I wanted to be a better person. Phil Collins is life changing :)

    There are times when I see him sing and he looks so much like my grandpa. I miss my grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty much everything I know about Phil Collins is from an episode of This American Life. Someone about to write a break-up song asks Phil Collins for advice, and he takes the time to respond to her.

    I wish I could have gotten hypothermia and/or frostbite with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE Phil Collins. My obsession began LONG long ago. I think when we still did carpet ice capades... lol Then when Tarzan came out, and he was THE creator. Oh boy. There it went. My insides turned to mush and to this DAY, I am a devoted Phil fan. lol Wonder where good ol' Phil is these days?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, Phil Collins rocks. I think my favorite song is "Land of Confusion," not only is it a rocking song, it's also my battle cry. Okay, so it was while he was in Genesis, but Genesis still rocks with Phil Collins goodness. I also love the song "Come With Me" and "True Colors." And everything on the Brother Bear soundtrack. That man has serious skillz.

    ReplyDelete