Thursday, May 28, 2009

You are a very beautiful HEY, YOU LOOK LIKE...

So I'm writing a spec script right now for 30 Rock. It's been a cool experience, although, it has proved challenging. I am attempting to get into the Writers on the Verge program for NBC-Universal in the fall. It's a 12-week course that basically puts you through boot camp training as a staff writer for television. I want it, I want it reaaaaaaal bad. 

However, I have been having a DEVIL of time just trying to pick the right show to write for. They give you the option of writing for any television series that has aired in the 2008-2009 season, and presumably, from any network. So, I've been agonizing, because of course writing for The Office would be ideal, but come on, everyone is going to turn in a spec script for The Office. And then I thought, well, maybe I'll write one for a serious show, something like 24 or Lost or something. But then I thought "Ah, that's just too much baggage" because those shows basically have their own canonized bibles to understand before you just go diving head-first into your own episode. So then finally I thought, "Well, I love 30 Rock, and even though it's highly popular and keeps winning all of the awards, maybe other people will shy away from it because it's too much for them, but it's JUST right for me." WRONG! It's hard. You have to be fresh and yet completely true to the show. Curse you Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels! Curse you! 
No, wait, no, no! I didn't mean that. I mean I love you and will you give me a job? Please?

Man, this spec writing business is tough...but....youuuuu guessed it:
I'M LOVIN' IT!


2 comments:

  1. Seriously???? Courtney that's awesome! Good luck with all that!!

    ReplyDelete