Friday, July 3, 2009

You are very beautiful WENDY PEFFERCORN!

"She don't know what she's doin', she don't know what she's doin'."

 "Yes she does. She knows exactly what she's doin'."

Hello Americans and Non-Americans alike,

I have a dream, a dream that one day everyone will watch The Sandlot (1993) on every 4th of July. 

I sit here now on my bed that is too small for two, with my little sissy, Riley. We have been excited for weeks leading up to this holiday. I don't know what it is, but Independence Day has always filled me with such joy and excitement and independence and Julyness. I just love it. Riley says, "It's like it's not summer until it's the 4th of July." Well said, Riley. Well said.[I just lovingly patted her on her Cindy Lou Who head and scooted her off to bed...kidding...she's still here.]

As we have reflected on why we love the holiday so much, we have come to the conclusion that we've had so many memorable ones, and also, it might just be because we're from the South. For some reason, The South is where Independence Day is epitomized for us. It's where the fresh lemonade, bbq'd hot dogs, apple pie, and Ray Charles are at their best. That's right, we've been listening to a lot of Ray Charles leading up to the day, and as a special gift to you all, we have added his rendition (the best rendition) of "America the Beautiful" to my blog playlist. Enjoy. 

Of course, there is more to it than that. The Sandlot is the one film that we feel summarizes our feelings towards life, America and our 4th of July experience. It rolls baseball, friendship, family and food into one film and with such simplicity that its profound. So, to give everyone an extra dose of our rendition of the 4th, here are some pictures of some places and things and quotes that sum up the day for us. 







And speaking of those beach men, here is not only a 4th of July tradition, but a midterms and finals tradition. Whenever my sister and I get the study-blues, we just put THIS in and we're immediately happy. (I especially love when Annette puts the tambourine down so she can really get down....sorta) Also, it seems that campy Disney films and vintage Mickey Mouse Club episodes sum up 4th of July for us. Talk amongst yourselves. 

And now...

"....Anyone who wants to be a can't-hack-it, pantywaist, who wears his momma's bra, raise their hand."


[Courtney and Riley raise their hands]


3 comments:

  1. Okay, that was awesome reading about your 4th of July traditions. I agree with everything you said--The Sandlot, the South, and Ray Charles. I got to see Ray Charles in concert when I was like 15...there's nothing quite like hearing him sing "Georgia On My Mind."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got fresh lemonade at the farmers' market today. Among the best summer has to offer? I do think so.

    I rented two very different movies, yet both set in the Old West, to watch this weekend: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Blazing Saddles.

    Even though I just ate, your post makes me hungry. I want a hamburger, a hot dog, some coleslaw, some potato salad, some lemonade, and an apple pie slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yeah, yeah," you took the words right out of my mouth , Courtney. ;)

    I saw "Sandlot" the other day and thought about you -n- your family. I remember watching that at your old house. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete