Friday, June 25, 2010

You are a very beautiful flux capacitor

I got to spend a week in New York City after spending 24 hours in Houston. Home. Due to the hectic nature of these travels, I had to wait a whole week to see Toy Story 3. A WHOLE WEEK! That's Courtney Summer Blockbuster Suicide (coming to theaters near you, Fall 2010). But, we got back to Houston today and just moments ago I returned from seeing the film. It was as heartwarming as I assumed it would be. Of course it caused me to question what I'm doing with my life, why I don't work for Pixar, why I've ever thrown any old toys away, and how much I love my home and my family, and wish that all of the loves of my life could be together in one place forever. Why is life not like this? Why do we have to go barreling into new territory, and scarier yet, how come we feel so strongly compelled that we must?

The film plays on that theme quite a bit, the theme of leaving behind the past in search of a new future. And I started thinking: sometimes I hate the future. Sometimes I wish I could live in the past and the future simultaneously; that Doc would show up with the Flux Capacitor and I could travel to places and through time seamlessly. These aren't particularly new thoughts to any of us, and I know its just the summer nostalgia kicking in. I'm just realizing that LA is great, but that home is home and love is love and that there are so many normal, simple people in the world, and there are days when I crave to be one of them. Not that I'm not normal now, trust me, I am, but I don't live in a normal place. I live in a place where eighteen year old's say things like, "My grandma used to force me to go to church with her, I hated her. I was seriously so happy when she died." Yeah. That was a real conversation on the set of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The others things said are unmentionable. But then, I realize that I have met some of the best people in the whole world in LA, and that I have the best living situation and the coolest scenery all around me! The talent alone is endless. I basically live in a vacation spot, and that's pretty spoiling and awesome. If you're bored in LA, there is something wrong with you.

In New York City, we are randomly asked to come watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. My sister Ashley and I were acting like we were fourteen and going to our first NSYNC concert. We've loved Jimmy ever since he first started on SNL. I watched the writer's as they gauged the audience for laughter and rewrote things on the spot, and I thought to myself, "Ah, that's why I go barreling into new territory. Because for some odd reason, I feel compelled to be one of those people, writing jokes and gauging laughter." It was awesome!

Favorite Old quote from Jimmy on Weekend Update.

"She acts like she INVENTED glasses. Guess what Tina? You didn't invent glasses!"


1 comment:

  1. I love IASIP. You have the coolest job, except the occasional cynical kid, but couldn't that be said about any job?

    PS Clearly you didn't see "Fever Pitch"

    ReplyDelete