Saturday, June 25, 2011

You are a very beautiful Crazy Super 8s


So, I went and saw a movie by myself last night. When your movie buddy-husband leaves for an extended amount of time, it must needs be.

I saw Super 8 and I have to admit, it was a pretty successful night. Other than some awkward moments when I would excitedly laugh or jump and look at the husband and wife next to me to try and share in the communal film experience. They looked over at me like I might have escaped my padded cell for just one night, but maintained a nice Kate Spade purse as a guilt-gift from the people who put me there.

Maybe I was too eager for a hit and that might be why it was so euphoric for me. I loved the performances, the nostalgia, and I even loved that it scared me out of my seat several times--one of the scenes scared everyone out of nowhere! The man in front of me full-on screamed and then looked around like he was just being a comedian. You were not sir, you were not.

But seriously, I was transformed back to childhood, being absolutely enraptured and terrified of E.T. Keep in mind, E.T was the very first movie I remember seeing ever. I know, fascinating. For more on this story, please wait for my James Lipton interview later this month.


If I had any real complaints, it would be when I could see the apparatus, as it were. And that's just a residual that comes from being a screenwriter-in-training. I could see where plots points were being so hammered that I sometimes winced. I will write more about this in my next post, but for now, just know that you should see Super 8 with your children who are old enough, because I felt that it was the first movie in a while that ignites that special fear, empathy and curiosity of a child, as E.T. did in me, I just don't think it is as good as E.T.

As far as parental guidance, just tell your children that back in the 80s kids didn't swear, because Charles was in Charge, and that the kids in Super 8 are just foul mouthed baddies, because it's set in the 70s. Also, this monster is NOT cute and cuddly like E.T. He makes people say ouch, but he doesn't repeat it back to them with a gentle finger press.

And to my friend Nate Fackrell who came up with the idea first, I am sorry, and I know that your movie would have been much better and then I would gush even more about it then Super 8. Stupid success hog, J.J Abrams. But, you WERE born in the 70s Nate, so what does that say about you? Hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment