Friday, November 22, 2013

You Are a Very Beautiful: Week 36 and 37

There's discomfort and then there's 37 weeks pregnant. There's a pressure cooker and then there's 37 weeks pregnant. There's me 9 months ago with 'the stick' ...

                                                      So nice, so naive, so mobile


And then there's 37 weeks pregnant.

I'm rubbish right now.

At 36 weeks, we had a family shower in which Tom was invited. Guess it's only fair, the baby being his progeny too and all. Grateful to have married into such a good family with such sweet people, and grateful some of my sweet family members could be there too.

The sweet hostess Janelle and her home...


Two fabulous women and hostesses, Grandma Lois and Terry...

Beautiful cousins and Grandma...


A beautiful pregnant woman, and her already beautiful 1st born (SIL Elyssa) ...
Gifts...

A particularly embarrassing game of 'guess how big her belly is,' that Tom actually won (in a very odd way)...

The siblings and the Beckett man came...


Grandma Lois' crafty diaper cake...

Grandma Lois also made this lovely quilt, and it's wonderful and also the first quilt I've ever had...or our baby will have.

A suspenseful present opening from Tom...


Ta-da! It was this adorable and useful thing....

It felt like my last big public outing, as contractions and discomfort have become pretty bad at night. I'm a pregnant werewolf it seems.

Hey, even Kate Middleton got to disappear for the last month of pregnancy, where I imagine (fantasize) she let her pregnancy corset out, gained 60 pounds, begged William to rub her feet and took 6 warm showers a day.

Lessons learned at 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant:

Don't ever try to compare yourself to anyone's else's body, behavior, tendencies, aversions, principles, or anything when you're pregnant. Your body is the only one in the world. Even if you have a clone (jealous) do not assume you would have similar pregnancy or that your body would handle things the same as your double.

I have begun swelling. I've talked to women that never had a day of swelling. I wasn't that sick, but have been around women who throw up everyday of their pregnancies. I have friends who get high blood pressure no matter how healthy they are during pregnancy, and I have had good blood pressure all along (almost). I have friends who get gestational diabetes, friends who eat horribly and gain nothing and have picture perfect...everything. Friends who eat well and gain 60 pounds. Friends who no matter what they do gain the same amount of weight with each pregnancy, or who always have their babies three weeks early, 2 weeks late, always on their due date, etc. It's a crapshoot. I just think pregnancy is sort of one big cosmic variable, maybe even one big cosmic joke. If it is a joke, I'm at such a stage that I do not find it funny.

Lots of crying, lots of grunting, lots of moaning, and lots of swelling. I do what I can to minimize pain and discomfort and yes, swelling, but we are at threat-level-midnight-code-red-DEFCON-4 right now. I always believed that I would be incredibly active and ambulatory during the last month of pregnancy. Not so much. It's sad. I'm tired of feeling like I can't contribute to things that, believe it or not, I actually want to do. Like building baby furniture, and of course my lifelong passion for body building...err, yes. Or just helping lift things to places I want them ...ASAP. The truth is I'm impatient to have things the way I want them and I loath having to wait on others to get them done. Poor Tom.

Tom has been my lifeline, my advocate, my partner, my comedy club. He's pretty cut out for this I think. I don't say this publicly almost ever, but I love him. So much.

He's so great he deserves Carol King lyrics...


I'm excited for the adventure of this baby, but it's still so abstract that I can only focus on the now. When he comes we'll have those new things to do and worry about, but right now I really just want that shelf cleaned, pronto...or I'll scream! Hmm, could this be nesting or is insanity apropos?

No comments:

Post a Comment