Wednesday, April 30, 2014

You Are a Very Beautiful: tres años



I may call myself a writer but my eloquence has been hibernating with my pre-pregnancy hips somewhere, so until I find them both again, here is an excerpt from a letter to Nancy Reagan from her beloved Ronnie. 

"…Your gift to me is uninsurable. No appraiser can put a value on it… It’s like fruit of the month or a lifetime subscription – a perpetual-motion happiness machine. It starts off fresh and brand new every day, shining up my whole world…” Whew, I'd say he won one for the gipper with that paragraph. And it is what my marriage means to me.

"Kiss again, kiss again!"  "You guuuuuuys" So embarrassing.

The American poet Mary Oliver is also the author of one of my very favorite quotes about marriage:
“There are a hundred paths through the world that are easier than loving. But who wants easier?”
l
Less easy moments, and yet my favorite

This last year of marriage has reminded me of the quote about a million times, and not because marriage got hard but because love expanded for us this past year and it certainly wasn't easy getting there, but gee golly has it been awesome. 

I don't think 3 years ago I could have imagined this time, even though I thought of a beautiful 'Mini Tom' coming into our lives frequently. And now here is our Mini Tom, distinguished cleft in his chin and all. 


Another amazing quote that seems even truer in our last year of marriage?

“No one has ever measured (not even poets) how much love the heart can hold.” -Zelda Fitzgerald

Who cares if she was certifiable, I'm certifiable about my husband too...


A super perk of having a producer husband - besides always being cast as his leading lady, my own trailer and everything - is that he makes movie stars out of the lot of us sometimes. For the last three years I have kept this to myself (and close loved ones) but here, for a quick minute, is a video Tom made of the best day of our lives. It has been held close to my vest for such a long time because, well, it's my uninsurable gift. No appraiser can put a value on this, or my wonderful spouse, or the people who mean the very most to me in life that are showcased in this little home movie. It captures very real moments intermixed with what were supposed to be staged moments - all of the chewing gum will forever be my favorite.  Pardon the quality, our version is amazingly better, but this is what youtube does to things sometimes, and I'm apparently not smart enough to outsmart it [Read:lazy]. But so dear to my heart is it, that I will be taking it down soon.



To Tom, I say, with a Carol Burnett tug of my ear lobe, that I never had a hot girl car, but you loved me anyway. And it took you a while to figure it out, but I loved you anyway. And...

"...Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! It is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;" - Shakespeare, sonnet 116

Apparently anniversaries make me a plagiarist. 

3 comments: